Hippocrates said it best, “Let food be thy medicine, and medicine be thy food.”
Like medicine, real food has a remarkable power to heal the body. And bone broth is one of the most powerful natural medicines on the planet. It’s been called liquid gold for this reason!
Bone broth is a healing tradition in virtually every culture around the world, and due to its rich nutrition has been linked to everything from calming inflammation to reducing wrinkles.
Here are 7 reasons why you should make room for a little liquid gold in your life.
- Your guts will thank you – From obesity and diabetes to heart disease and cancer, diseases of aging begin with inflammation – and that inflammation starts in your gut. A sick gut is a leaky gut, which allows toxins to enter the bloodstream and trigger an immune response. Left unchecked, this can leave you chronically inflamed. Bones are rich in collagen that turns into gelatin when cooked – and gelatin is a powerful gut healer. It boosts the integrity of your gut lining, loads you up with anti-inflammatory chemicals, and creates an environment for healthy gut microbes to thrive.
- Bone broth gives you amazing hair, skin, and nails AND it fights cellulite – Here’s something women have known for centuries: Collagen and gelatin – like that found in bone broth – can make your hair shine, your skin clear up, your wrinkles disappear, and your fingernails stronger. As if that weren’t enough, it also helps to smooth out cellulite on your thighs. It’s like a facelift and a trip to the spa – all in one cup!
- Bone broth calms cravings – Bone broth is rich, hearty, and satisfying. One cup will leave you feeling like you’ve eaten a full meal. If you’re looking for a way to stop cravings for sugar and junk food while simultaneously melting away stubborn body fat, give bone broth a try. You won’t be disappointed.
- Bone broth calms your stress – Finding an outlet for stress is one of the most important things you can do for your health – it’s also crucial for weight loss. That’s because stress elevates the hormone cortisol, which builds belly fat. And nothing makes you crave sugar like cortisol. Filled with anxiety-calming glycine and magnesium, bone broth can soothe and relax you, allowing the stress to literally melt away.
- Bone broth eases a cold – Grandma was right: chicken soup is a powerful prescription for cold relief – provided you make it yourself! Broth helps reduce the symptoms of a cold by preventing pro-inflammatory immune cells called neutrophils from moving to an inflamed area.
- Bone broth protects your joints – Your joints contain cartilage, a slippery Teflon-like coating that allows them to move without grinding. Animal bones also contain cartilage, which are packed with glucosamine and chondroitin – the same nutrients doctors prescribe to keep joints young and healthy – as well as other joint-healing and lubricating nutrients. It’s like nature’s Celebrex!
- Bone broth is easy to make! – It doesn’t get any easier than this – get a big pot (crock pots work well) and toss in your animal bones – beef, chicken, turkey, lamb, or fish most commonly. Throw in some chopped onion, celery, carrots, and a little apple cider vinegar to help dissolve the bones. Season as you wish (salt, pepper, bay leaf), then cover everything with filtered water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and then … walk away. After 2 (fish), 6 (chicken), or 24 (beef) hours, the bones will literally start to melt, releasing deep nutrition. Strain and refrigerate your broth. Once chilled, you’ll notice that it’s “jiggly.” That’s the gelatin, which is where the magic happens.
Never, ever underestimate this humble food. It’s one of the most potent fat-burning, anti-inflammatory foods on the planet. Nature’s medicine doesn’t get any more powerful than this!
Like this post? Want free weekly inspiration to eat, move, and sleep your way to optimal health? As a bonus I’ll send you my e-book, Top 7 Mistakes (even) Health Conscious People Make.